Thursday 12 August 2010

Sea Glass

I've always had a bit of a thing about sea glass.


The gorgeous colours, all muted and, well, sea-ey. The opaqueness, the smooth-but-rough feel of it and the excitement of finding it amongst the shells and pebbles.


Over the last couple of years I have been more and more drawn to it and it has taken over my lust for shells. Just. I spend back-breaking hours looking at the treasure on the shore picking up, discarding, stashing and wandering over the same bit of beach until I am certain that I have all the sea glass that the Atlantic or North Sea has to offer. Quite often a beautiful little shell finds its way into my pocket and if I go home without a pebble or two I have not been looking properly- stones with a line through them, a heart or a hag are my thing.


The sea glass makes its way into a rather splendid jar in our bathroom and it is good to look at. But recently I have been wondering if there is something else I can do with it. I think the sea glass is magic. It could be beans. I am going to make beautiful jewellery with it. For now I am experimenting with wire wrapping just to see what can be done (not very much by me at the moment, it's not beautiful) and if there is love between the glass and the magicbeans in the box. I think a big romance could be on the horizon.
Just look how stunning the glass looks with the magic beans. Perfect. Now I just need the drillbit...

5 comments:

  1. I love sea glass but haven't found much as of late. They look lovely in the group of beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh can't wait to see what you make :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sea glass is soooooooo lovely xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh ooh. Swoon.You know I love these colours

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, jus found your blog. Gorgeous pics. I have a small collection of sea glass which I found on the beach below clevedon Pier. I am slowly (taking forever!) mosaicing the wall of my outbuilding. The colours are stunning. Love your blog, lou x

    ReplyDelete